Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pictures from Culion, Palawan


Created with flickr slideshow from softsea.



June 30, 10:30 am
waiting for my flight back to Manila

Culion, Palawan is one of the most remote islands in the Philippines. Because of its location, it was once chosen to house one of the largest leper colonies n the world. The "outside world's" fear of contamination was so fierce that the island even had to print its own currency that could not be circulated anywhere else.

Leprosy is no longer a most dreaded disease but Culion can boast of at least one other superlative - it has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.

I stayed at the Hotel Maya, which is the training center for the Tourism Entrepreneurship program of the Loyola College of Culion, "the poorest Jesuit school in the Philippines".

Hotel Maya, under the leadership of Father Javy Alpasa, my new personal hero, is in the forefront of promoting Culion as a Healing Island and as an eco-tourism site.

4 comments:

wilson ng said...

HI tarcs,

glad to see you are back in mnl, and continuing to do good. I am sure it was a very meaningful experience based on what you posted.

cagayan de oro hotels said...

Are these pictures taken while your stay in Hotel Maya, if so, these are magnificent. I will definitely include this place in my “must see” list. Thanks!

Redbolts said...

a must see list before I die

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos...